It may not be exactly the person we knew and loved, but there is a person still inside there. I saw this article come through today about pairing medical students with dementia patients. What a great reminder for medical providers.
We have been through a roller coaster of med, changes, moves, changes and more since the beginning of the year. There are days I wondered if some of the people interacting with my dad remembered that there was a person in there.
Just the other day- a reminder of how much of that person is in there. Tragically, an encounter between my father, Max, and his grandson became a time of sadness. There was some recognition- which continues to surprise us at it randomness. Grandpa remembered going to graduation "over there". Moments later a look of melancholy, that can hardly be described, turned his expression to one of total sadness. Max had a personal acknowledgement of how he couldn't put all the pieces together and embrace someone who was very special to him. His entire body was immediately drained of energy, and as he put his head in his hands- just one simple phrase, "I don't feel well".
Again the divert technique- my sister and I helped him to the car and the plans for the morning were abandoned.
I reach out, with this thought, to other caregivers, family members, grandchildren and the special people who help us care for our friends and family members- "Thank you for helping us all keep our dignity and respect as we travel this winding road."
No comments:
Post a Comment